Monday, July 29, 2013

My Wellness Journey, Part the First

I really see my lifestyle changes as a wellness journey, instead of weight loss. However, weight loss is a tangible result of wellness. This is why I am referring to weight loss in this post.

It's official as of today--I am down 20.5 lbs. from where I was at this time last year.

Now, I know that I'm not going to be called up for any weight-loss endorsement deals. It's no shocking or quick weight loss regiment, but the way I see it, I did it! Granted, I would like to lose 30 to 40 lbs. more, but I'm happy with my results.

So, you are probably wondering how I did it. I made small changes to my diet over time and have been incorporating exercise on a regular basis.

The most significant change to my diet is that I eat vegan most of the time, at least 2 meals a day. I follow Mark Bittman's blog and read his VB6 book. It changed the way I think of food. I didn't start out eating vegan or if I did, I took the all-or-nothing approach. The all-or-nothing approach set me up for terrible migraines and made me ugly to be around (just ask my husband). What worked for me was eating more vegetables and fruit--say, replacing a side of chips with my sandwich with cut-up red peppers or cukes. I also try to make one of my snacks a fruit or vegetable. This is how I got more veggies in my diet. My meals became based around veggies, rather than meat or starch.

 I don't go hungry. I eat when I am hungry. This has made a huge difference, as I don't starve myself and binge at the next meal. I also am not too strict with myself, so if I'm out with friends, I will eat and have a good time.

I feel that what has helped me lose weight the most is that I started taking karate and kickboxing classes. I have to exercise at least three times a week now. I needed structure because it was too easy to blow off going to the gym. I really like the people and program at United Martial Arts Center.

The most important aspect of my weight-loss journey thus far is this: I haven't really been focusing on the pounds lost (in fact, I only started weighing myself weekly about a month ago). I've been focusing on how I feel: Do I have energy? Do I feel strong? Am I happy?

And, yes, I am definitely happier than I was a year ago.

Many thanks to those who have been supportive of my wellness journey, especially my husband, Mark, who is willing to try new food; my best friend, Amy, who is my kickboxing buddy; and my friend, Colleen, who is my cheerleader. You guys totally rock!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Kim!! I'm on a similar journey and it's great, but hard! Love that you're loving kickboxing

    MK

    ReplyDelete