Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Best of 2014

As I lay in bed this morning and contemplated coffee, I also thought about how I would be remiss in my duty as a blogger if I didn't do a year in review.

Back when we had cable, RNews had some sort of poet do a year-in-review poem * every year. I thought the poems were pretty wretched, as the rhyme was forced and the commentary about politics a little too cheeky for my taste. I know there are many people out there who disagree with my assertion regarding these poems.

So, I'm coming up with my own poem about 2014:

It's the end of two-oh-one-four
The year kinda sucked
Some things happened;
 some good, some rough
2015 will be better (I hope).

Don't worry, dear reader. I'm not quitting my day job to be a full-time poet.

As a librarian and an avid reader, I would be remiss if I didn't do a best-of book list for the last day of the year. There are two books that I really feel were my "Best Reads of 2014":

1. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy O'Toole. Yes, I know this didn't come out in 2014. However, it was one of the two best books I read this year. I loved the characterization and the humor. I still giggle to myself when I think of Ignatius J. Reilly's plan for the labor protest at the pants factory. So good.

2. Glory O'Brien's History of the Future by A.S. King. THIS book. WOW. This book changed my life.** It is in my top five favorite books of all times.

Dear reader, I would love to know what are your Best Books You Read in 2014. Leave a comment.

Happy New Year!

*Link follows to this year's poem. You're welcome.

** I'm not going into how right now, but just know it made a huge impact on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment