Thursday, January 16, 2014

Another Day



A few days ago, I had posted about going to a used book store and I said, "That will be a post for another day."

Today is another day, dear reader.

I love used bookstores! With the advent of digital publishing and perhaps the decline in reading, used bookstores are like unicorns--you just don't see them around so much anymore. A few weeks ago, my friend, Amie,* and I were stalking used bookstores in the Rochester area online, and we finally found one in Spencerport, The Book Centre.

I liked the Book Centre. It is floor to ceiling with books. So many books. So many, many books. It's the kind of place where I think I could spend days browsing the stacks, but only can tolerate about 45 minutes before I have an information overload.

As we were browsing the mysteries, I heard some voices in the row of books behind me. Suddenly, a pile of heavy books about WWII aviation landed on my head, as well as a guide to birds. I stood stunned. A gentleman rounded the row and said, "Sorry about that."

"It's okay," I mumbled, rubbing the back of my head.

"Ah, here it is!," he said cheerily, picking up the bird guide.

I felt a little awkward, so I started picking up the books on aviation. "You can leave those. I'll get them," the cheerful man said.

It was like people got beamed in the head with heavy books every day.

I retreated into the paranormal romance section to lick my wounds. I had a hell of a head ache.

Later, when Amie and I stopped for coffee, I asked, "Do you think it would be ironic if I got killed by a stack of books on my day off?"

She smiled. "Yeah, it would probably become some sort of meme and go viral."

"Yeah, I can see that--Librarian Killed by Books. Oh, the hilarity." My head still hurt. I think the cheerful bookseller should have given me a free book for pain and suffering.

So, having said all this, I'm actually looking forward to going back to Book Centre. There's so much more there I want to pick through. I'm bringing a friend when I return, so I can have someone spot me as I browse. After all, I don't want to be that meme.

*I have a few friends named Amy. It is really confusing to people when I talk about "my friend, Amy" because it could be Amy, Amy or Amie. I think my Amys come across better in my blogging.
Having said that, there is Lora and Laurie, Colleen and Colleen. This is why my husband just nods when I tell him anecdotes about my friends.

Meme has nothing to do with this post. I just like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment