Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A tribute to a friend -- a "not funny" blog post

I found out last night that a friend of mine from college passed away. I had been following her battle with cancer on Facebook. I was shocked and saddened to learn of her passing.

Although we didn't hang out on a regular basis, I learned a lot from my friend, Katie. When Katie first came to Bonaventure, I was jealous of her because one of my friends had a crush on her. I assumed she would be a snob because she was so pretty. However, I became her friend when Katie and I both participated in the Oxford program during the summer of 1996. Katie was a genuine person; she was kind, funny and positive. I was a cynical young adult; Katie's friendship taught me to be less cynical.

I reconnected with Katie a few years ago via Facebook. I shared in her happiness when she and Dom adopted their son. I followed her battle with cancer and offered my support through kind words and care packages that my friend, Amy, and I put together.

Katie taught me how to die with dignity. She was open about her journey and treatments and positive. She was grateful for the people in her life and life itself.

So, thank you Katie Dudley Perry, for your sparkle and optimism. You made me a better person by helping me adjust my outlook on life. For that, my sparkly cowgirl, I will be forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment