Friday, October 11, 2013

How I changed my life

Ten months ago, I did something that totally changed my life: I started karate classes.

I remember sitting in my car before that first class. I texted Amy something to the effect of "I don't know if I can do this." I was scared: I wasn't fit in the least; I had little confidence. I took a deep breath, opened my car door and went into the dojo. Little did I know at that time what would be the result of that one class.

This past Wednesday, I ranked advanced orange belt. To me, my belt rank is more than a symbol of my martial arts knowledge; it is a symbol of my journey from being couch- bound and depressed to fit and happy. Since starting karate in January, I have lost weight and gained muscle. I have become an optimist. I love to laugh. I have confidence in my jobs and my relationships.

Thank you to my instructors at UMAC for pushing me and inspiring me. I appreciate that you have inspired me to be a better me.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Mrs. Rouleau, for having the courage to step up and *do*! (Showing up is 90%, but it's only the *first* 90%, followed by the next 90% of continuing on. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To quote Finn the Human, your comment is "mathematical"! :-) Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete