Tuesday, November 12, 2013

First Snow, or Why I'll Never Be a Boy Scout



As I was driving in to work today, I thought about why I will never be a Boy Scout.

First off, I'm a woman in her 30s, so there are a few strikes right there.

Second, I'm never prepared, as was evidenced by me running around like a maniac at 6:30 this morning.

Yesterday evening, as I was cozied up on the couch crocheting, I watched the weather. The local weather man said there would be snow. I thought, "How cute." I didn't realize the implications of "snow".

Fast forward 10 hours: I am out in the street, wearing my newly crocheted hat, trying to chip ice off my windshield with a stick. Yes, with a stick. You know why? Because I can't find the snow brush. Where do the snowbrushes go in the summer? Anyway, I can tell you why no one has marketed a stick as the ultimate car de-icer: sticks suck. This is after I beat the hell out of the driver side to door to get into my car because the handle mechanism was frozen. And I beat the door and scraped the car with a stick without the benefit of gloves because I did not believe in this "snow" last night when I was sitting on the couch. Therefore, I didn't bother getting gloves together.

After 20 minutes, I admit defeat, get my husband's keys and use the snowbrush from his car. My car has finally defrosted and I leave for work...only to be caught in the construction on Lake Ave., which I should have considered after being caught in it last week.

I finally arrive to work late. And it's all my fault because I refused to get off the couch and get ready for winter.

Now that we've had the first snow of the year, I will not be so foolish. I plan on going home and thoroughly going through my garage for my snow brush. I also plan on going through my sock drawer for a pair of gloves. Winter has taught me its first cruel lesson.


No comments:

Post a Comment