Monday, November 25, 2013

Update!

Hi, all,

I know I've been quiet for the past week or so because I was away for work. I thought I would re-enter the blogosphere with updates on book cover conversations and "adult themes" as of late.

1. Adult themes: As you may remember from an earlier post, we had the roof replaced on our house. It is an "adult theme," as it was an expensive and angst-ridden process for me. Currently, the same contractor is replacing the ceiling in the room where the roof leaked. All the furniture and my crafting supplies are in the living room. Every time I travel the small path through the living room, Tom Petty sings in my brain,"You don't have to live like a refugee".

Anyhow, as my friend Amy pointed out yesterday, home improvement is a lot like Johnny's mom in Johnny Dangerously. There's always something else going wrong that you have to fix or replace. ("Kim, it's your house's insulation: it has shrunk so much, it's not doing its job. We need to replace it.").

2. Book covers: As I was cleaning out stuff from the craft room, I came across this book:

I didn't say that all my reading was intellectually-driven. Sometimes, I 'm content with the literary equivalent of a bag of potato chips.
Immediately, I thought the cover model of After Glow looked familiar:



This made me realize that Rick Springfield is a popular cover model. Why is this?

Upon reflecting on other "judging books by their covers" posts, I thought of this again:


I think I have to take back my comment about the Gremlin. I think Mary is holding the first Furby on the prairie. The manner in which the other young women are fawning over it indicated to me that this book is about the first Furby craze that swept the country in the 1800s.



Also, I need to apologize about my first blog post about Little Town on the Prairie. My friend, Amie, pointed out that Mary is blind and that Williams is depicting her blindness. She is not possessed, as I had hoped, as I thought it would be a far better story. Therefore, the moral of the story is that I'm a big jerk.

So, in a nutshell, this was my past week. I'm back to blogging daily now, my friends.


1 comment:

  1. The cat is a kitten that Pa finds and brings home to the girls...

    ReplyDelete