Monday, November 4, 2013

Adult themes, or why I haven't updated my blog in awhile

My mom is an avid subscriber of TV Guide. She has been my whole life. I spent many hours of my childhood reading the movie descriptions in the back of the magazine. This is where I learned about "adult themes". Granted, I didn't know what it meant when I was a kid; I thought it was something taboo and exciting.

Now that I'm an adult, I have decided that "adult themes" actually means the crap you have to take responsibility for as a grown up. For example, having to put down your beloved pet cat that you had as a kitten because he is sick--that's an adult theme. Paying a $3500 vet bill for said beloved cat is another adult theme.

Over the past week, I've had several adult themes in my life. If you follow my blog, you will remember my tribute to a friend who passed away last week. That was Monday. On Wednesday, I found out that my father-in-law had a heart attack and was in the hospital. Over the weekend, the roof in my craft room started leaking. Upon talking to the contractor, we found out that we will have to replace the roof on our whole house.

Right now, my life has so many adult themes that it should be rated NC-17, or Not Suitable for Children Under 17.

Having said all that, I believe that these things aren't too bad. I refuse to get bogged down in negativity. The best thing for me to do is to deal with the situations and move on. As my Grandpa Clyde said when the doctor told him he was going to die, "Eh, whatcha gonna do?"

Mind you, this was three years ago and Grandpa Clyde is still alive. The upshot of the story is that your attitude affects how you handle things.

Tomorrow on the blog, I will be back to lampooning bad book covers. That's my promise to you, the consumer. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment