Friday, November 8, 2013

My Life's Mission; or, Another Post about Bugs

This is my post where I chronicle my ongoing battle with house centipedes.

Mind you, this is not a battle I've chosen; rather, it is a destiny chosen for me, as I do not fear bugs.

At one point, I had a cat named The Bum. He used to capture house centipedes and pull their legs off, watching them squirm around. It was sort of "Reservoir Dogs" of him, I thought. One day, when I wasn't home, a particularly large house centipede ran across the living room floor, totally skeeving out my roommate, Amy. According to Amy, The Bum pounced on it and gobbled up the house centipede in one gulp. I think she was equally impressed and grossed out by The Bum. However, he was The Brave Slayer of House Centipedes until he passed away four years ago.
Mark Rouleau Photos: Pets &emdash; The Bum
The Bum thought House Centipedes were delicious.


This past summer, I moved a dishcloth out of the kitchen sink. A house centipede crawled out from underneath the dishcloth. My child took one look and ran screaming from the room. My husband backed away nervously and said, "I'll let you take care of this."

So, I squished it and threw it out.

Once in awhile, house centipedes make an appearance in the library. Last year, a student ran out of the bathroom to tell me about a "large, prehistoric bug" that was on the wall. I ended up going into the bathroom, knocking the house centipede off the wall and flushing it down the toilet. There was applause from the group of students who had gathered to watch me battle the house centipede.

I believe that I was chosen by some greater power to keep sanity in a world that can potentially be taken over by these beasts. I will take up the charge and keep my people safe.

"I challenge you!"


No comments:

Post a Comment