Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas songs, Part Deux, or Songs I Love to Hate

A few days ago, I blogged about Christmas songs I liked--no snark. Today, I give you, the reader, a snark-fest as I blog about Christmas songs I love to hate...or like to poke fun at.

1. "We Need a Little Christmas". I love to sing along to this one! Of course, I've changed a few of the lyrics to be controversial:
"We need a little Christmas
Right this very minute
Candles in the doorway
Candles UP your spinnet."

Then last year, my husband added these lyrics:
"I've grown a little leaner
I've grown a little older
I've grown a little weiner
Right here on my shoulder!"

I think we just improved on what is already a festive tune. Apparently, this is from the musical "Mame". I found that out just now as I was searching for it on the Internet.

2. "Dominic the Donkey". I don't know who sings this originally. I only heard it a few years ago on the radio. It drives me nuts and it gets stuck in my head. Having said that, I really want to go Christmas caroling and sing this song.

But just the "Jing-a-di-jing hee haw hee haw" part and then walk away. I'm sure my neighbors will be delighted by my singing and not at all nervous or confused.

Also, Lou Monte sings the original. I just looked it up.

3. "Santa Baby". Just...NO.

4. "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas". While I am ambivalent when this comes on the radio, it causes my child to become crazy because "that kid is really, really annoying." He also just told me that "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth" is another song he hates for the same reason.

5. "The Christmas Shoes" This is such a manipulative song. "Oh, please, sir, my mother is going to meet Jesus. I just want to get her shoes before she dies."

Thanks, kid, now we all feel like crap.

Anyhoo, I really believe that the kid is pulling that line on everyone in the store and is selling these shoes out of a van somewhere to fund a new Playstation 4 or something. Because I am just that jaded.

Thank you for reading my blog and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment