Tuesday, December 17, 2013

With a Grateful Heart

I know Thanksgiving has passed, but today strikes me as a good day to have do a post about being grateful. I've been thinking of gratitude since our staff retreat a few weeks ago and since one of my coworkers, Rebecca, talked about an exercise where one writes down five things he or she is grateful for every day.

I apologize ahead of time if I miss anyone or anything in this post; for there is much I am thankful. Also, the list is not in any order of importance-- it is just what is coming to mind. I am grateful for:

-My husband. In his own quiet way, he is my biggest cheerleader. For example, a few weeks ago, I told him I wanted to quit karate. He suggested that I stay in until I achieve my next rank. I'm glad I did because my perseverance has made me realize that I really do love karate and kickboxing. I am grateful for his support over the past 12 years.

-My best friend, Amy. A couple of years ago, I was in a very dark place in my life. Amy supported me through this time by listening to me and encouraging me. Thank you. What I love most about Amy is the fact that when the two of us get together, we end up in this feedback loop of silliness which results in me laughing so hard that I cry.

-My friends/ extended family / people I work with. You are very good to me. Thank you for your encouragement and support.

- My mentors and colleagues, including Dr. Lauren, Eileen Connelly, Mike H., Jim Ferris, Colleen B. They have taught me, had faith in me and encouraged me. Know that I am forever grateful for the gifts you have given me: grit, inquiry and inspiration. Thank you.

-The fact that I have a job that I love. I work with books and kids. I get kids excited about reading and about thinking. Tell me this isn't the best job ever!

-My karate family at UMAC. When I came to you, I was couch-bound, 25 pounds heavier and unhappy. Thank you for training me, challenging me and smiling at me! You guys rock!

- My blog readers. I am inspired to write more because of your comments on the blog and Facebook. Thanks for encouraging me to write and feeding into my delusion about the fact that Furbies took over prairie towns and that tabby cats will be our new world leaders.

So, thank you. All of you. May you be blessed during this holiday season.

And thanks, Rebecca, for getting me into a grateful mindset.

No comments:

Post a Comment