Friday, December 13, 2013

Reading Friday

Since this has been a book-heavy week, I figured I would close out with what I am currently reading and what I just read and my impressions of both.
 

Currently reading: Cold Calls by Charles Benoit

I managed to get my hands on an ARC of this novel, as it is not due out until April. I'm about 50 pages into this book and I am loving it! Benoit has a gift in writing suspense. It is one of those books where I have to read into the next chapter to see what happens. Cold Calls is about three teens. Each has done something terrible and these terrible things are secrets that the teens don't want getting out. A mysterious voice calls each teen, tells him or her that the caller knows his/her secret and this the secret will be exposed, if the teen doesn't complete the tasks the caller assigns to him/her. The tasks involve bullying other kids at the teens' schools.

I anticipate finishing Cold Calls this weekend, especially since the Weather Channel is predicting a dire Snowpocalypse this weekend.



Just Finished: Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

I picked up Cat's Cradle two weeks ago when my husband left it lying around. I really enjoyed this book because it made me think about stuff. I liked Bokononism, which is "shameless lies". Within those lies, there lies a lot of truth, I think.

My husband describes Vonnegut's style as "deceptively simple". I agree. I feel like Cat's Cradle fits into the same mold as Catcher in the Rye in that there is an unreliable narrator tell the reader about what is wrong with society or humanity, but this is portrayed as a fault of the narrator, rather than a fault of the society.

Because of Cat's Cradle, I understand why people think Vonnegut is one of the best American authors of the 20th century. I'm looking forward to reading more of his books.

So many books...too little time...

What are you currently reading? Feel free to leave a comment below, or, if you are accessing this through Facebook, you can comment on the post that contains this link.


No comments:

Post a Comment